It’s no surprise that we’re happy to be working with the Happy Africa Foundation. They are an inspiring non-profit working to create long-term, positive change in the lives of individuals, families and communities in Africa. The Foundation, established in 2008 in Cape Town, works with communities in South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, and Zambia. It is funded mainly by donations received from volunteers working on African Impact projects.
If you haven’t already heard of African Impact, it’s yet another incredible group doing community and environmental work in Africa. As the main volunteer travel organization in Africa, African Impact offers volunteer experiences which have long lasting positive effects on the local communities in which they work. Some of our favorite trips include volunteering at the Chimpanzee and Wildlife Orphan Care Project in Zambia and the Childhood Childcare and Early Development Project in Kenya.
We could go on about African Impact’s amazing volunteering and interning opportunities, but let’s get back to the Foundation. The small devoted team creates meaningful and lasting impact by working directly with the individuals and families who live in the communities in which they work. The group focuses on health and nutrition, education and enrichment, and empowering families. If appropriate, they partner with other local organizations such as Planeterra,Timberland Italy, and Zamfund. To incite even more excitement about the Happy Africa Foundation, we’ve highlighted five of their current projects.
- HEALTH AND NUTRITION: Red Hill Health and Nutrition Program in the Western Cape – Red Hill supports the schools’ feeding programs by supplementing the funds needed to purchase nutritious foods such as fruit, vegetables and rice for the children as well as teaching healthy living practices at the school.
- HEALTH AND NUTRITION: Linda Clinic Expansion in Livingstone – The project aims to transform Linda Clinic into a three-ward district hospital that will be able to provide the surrounding communities with better support and access to more extensive health care. This will involve the building of three wards – female, male and children’s – as an extension to the current out-patient clinic.
- EDUCATION AND ENRICHMENT: Jambiani Educational Community Center in Zanzibar – This project is aimed at raising the funds needed to purchase a piece of land within Jambiani village and to build a new community learning centre. Once the land is purchased, African Impact volunteers will work alongside local volunteers to clear the land of vegetation and coral rocks, dig the foundations and then help concrete the foundations.
- EDUCATION AND ENRICHMENT: Mukeo Farming for Special Needs Children in Limuru – Mukeu plans to start a farming project in order to ensure that the centre can continue to feed the boarders and become self-sufficient in the long term. The raising of livestock and greenhouse farming have been identified as sustainable projects that will provide not only food, but also income, to the school.
- EMPOWERING FAMILIES: Mama Grace Garden and Chicken Project in South Africa – The Happy Africa Foundation is working with the local Department of Social Welfare and the Siyazisiza Trust to support the initiative by raising funds to provide a grant for the renovation of the existing buildings and equipment. There are also plans to develop a vegetable garden and to provide poultry management training and bookkeeping skills.
Read about many more amazing projects on Happy Africa Foundation’s website.
You can contribute to Happy Africa Foundation’s work in Zambia, Kenya, South Africa, and Tanzania, by taking an unforgettable trip to one of these unforgettable places. When you book with Travel On The Good, we donate a portion of the cost to the Foundation and their projects. When you Travel On The Good, we’re all going somewhere – you, The Happy Africa Foundation, and the many communities they benefit.